Stephenson Soil and Water Conservation District Board Meeting
Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors
November 7, 2018
Call to Order: Chairman Jim Hutchison called the meeting to order of the Stephenson Soil and Water Conservation District Board at 8:00 am on November 7, 2018. The board met at 1620 S. Galena Avenue, Freeport Illinois.
Roll Call: Present at the time the meeting was called to order were board members Jim Hutchison, Chad Alderks, Barb Klinger, and Seth Wenzel; District employees Lorna Chezem, Administrative Coordinator and Aaron Dinderman, Resource Conservationist; NRCS employees Tatiana Gill, Soil Conservationist from Winnebago.
Not in attendance –Dan Diaz, Jim Ritterbusch, Abby Mielke and Lori Toelke
Approval of Minutes: Jim Hutchison moved to approve minutes of the September SWCD board meeting, seconded by Seth Wenzel. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
Bills to be Paid: Seth Wenzel moved to approve the bills as listed on the monthly budget sheet for October and November; along with the addition of a bill for ISWCDEA for winter training and dues, seconded by Chad Alderks. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
Review and Approval of Employee Time Sheets: Employee time sheets were passed around. Barb Klinger moved to accept the employee timesheets, seconded by Chad Alderks. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
CAP/Ag in the Classroom Meet and Greet; Funding Request & Updates: Lorna/Peggy Trone
· Peggy passed a report to all those present and talked about programs that have been run since she started in August. After some discussion the board requested that Peggy attend and give reports to the SWCD board on a quarterly basis.
· The 3rd grade/poster tree program was discussed; Peggy’s role and the Colby Smith Memorial.
· Peggy requested the donation from the SWCD for last year (FY18) funds. Seth Wenzel made a motion to pay the donation request of $3500.00; seconded by Barb Klinger. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
Meet and Greet; Aaron Dinderman, Stephenson SWCD Resource Conservationist: Lorna
Blackhawk Hills Region Council Update: Dan Payette
· Dan passed the annual report to everyone present at the meeting.
· Dan highlighted the freight study which was completed through 8 counties and the road safety audit along the Route 20 corridor.
· A trails study was also highlighted; counters were installed to track usage along seven trails; over 10,000 users were counted.
· A barge facility in East Dubuque/Jo-Daviess County was also discussed
Stephenson County Board Report: Ron Fluegel
· Ron and others on the Planning and Development Committee have pushed very hard to get the SWCD funding back up to the $25,000 level.
· Chairman Bill Hadley will have to appoint someone to be the new SWCD liaison; hopefully this will be another person from the Planning and Development Committee. The meeting in November will be Ron’s last meeting.
· The Public Works Committee is proposing the use of ATV’s/UTV’s on township roads.
· The Stephenson County Board has approved 38 solar projects to date.
· The County has changed its fiscal year to calendar year for 2019.
Freeport City Council Report: Tom Klemm/No report
Conservation Plans & CPO’s: Tatiana for Jim
· There was one waterway project on the list for October. Barb Klinger made a motion to approve the waterway plan and CPO; seconded by Jim Hutchison. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
Contribution Agreement: Lorna for Jim
· Changes to the Administrative Grant agreement; monthly payments are based on type of work performed; much like the CRP agreement.
· Plan of Work for CRP workload per the NRCS agreement was also submitted for FY19.
CRP Update: Jim/ No update
EQIP Update: Abby/ No update
CSP Update: Tatiana
· Very busy time with re-enrollments – 6 or 7 in Stephenson, 2 in Winnebago and 39 in Boone County.
Programs / SWCD Updates: Lorna
· Financial review/Audit and Comptroller’s report were passed. Barb Klinger made a motion to accept the financial review and Comptroller’s report that was completed by Freidag Associates; seconded by Chad Alderks. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
· Certified Copy of Vote was filled out; signed and notarized by Linda Vick in our office. This is a new requirement this year.
· Jim Hutchison signed the engagement letter from Freidag Associates.
· The board requested that the insurance be capped at $300.00 per month on the Personnel Policy. The revision was reviewed. Barb Klinger made a motion to approve the change to the Personnel policy; capping the insurance cost at $300.00 per month; seconded by Chad Alderks. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
· Cost share rate change for FY19 to a possible 75/25 rate was discussed. Rate changes on the FY19 Practice Component List were also discussed along with the addition of the Pollinator practice. The priority list that was approved at the July meeting was also discussed. Seth Wenzel made a motion to approve the Average Cost List for FY19; to keep the CPP payment rate at 60/40 and the priority list will remain the same – structural practices, well decommissioning practices and agronomic practices, seconded by Barb Klinger. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
· Well Decommissioning Projects were passed for LaBudde and Hollister. Barb Klinger made a motion to approve both well decommissioning projects; seconded by Chad Alderks. Voting aye; all. Motion passed.
· Letter that was written by Jim Hutchison and Jim Ritterbusch to the Stephenson County Board; justifying the increase in funding back to the $25,000 level was shared with the board members present.
· Changes to Administrative Grant were outlined in the Contribution Agreement above.
Approve Reports as E-Mailed: Barb Klinger moved to approve the reports as e-mailed from: Lorna Chezem, Aaron Dinderman and Jim Ritterbusch; seconded by Jim Hutchison. Voting aye: all. Motion carried.
· Another funding request from NACD was received. Since we just sent them dues this will be disregarded at this time.
· The distribution plan for the LUC portion of operations funding pass passed for review. Barb Klinger made a motion to approve the plan; seconded by Seth Wenzel. Voting aye: all. Motion passed.
Having no other business, Chairman Hutchison adjourned the meeting at 9:40 am.
Barb Klinger, Treasurer/Secretary Notes recorded by Lorna Chezem